Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Petty peeves

Now that Spring is here and the celestial bodies are behaving themselves, I decided to leave them alone and worry about the smaller things in life...

Would you please hit the freakin’ button!

You’d think in this fast-paced world, where bills get paid in minutes and google gives answers in seconds, the most obvious and fruitful thing to do when you got on an elevator would be to hit the door-close button. But no, some think the most fruitful thing to do is to remark on the lovely weather or worry about a lab mouse with cardiac arrest. That’s all well and good, but if you stand there any longer without shutting the door, Spring might just pass you by and your beloved mouse might not have a chance at resuscitation.

Don’t you start your car when you get into it? Don’t you turn on the light when you enter a room? Wouldn’t shutting the darn door be the natural thing to do in a 6-foot wide car that moves on a vertical shaft? On an elevator, people somehow seem to lose their earthly instincts. It’s either the screwed up gravity or the lack of oxygen. I couldn’t tell you, cos I happen to be in the minority – the I-hit-the-door-close-button minority (we have an affirmative action case going). And this is my official call to that small group of individuals that believes ‘the button’ serves a purpose and begs to be used. Some dismiss it as a placebo cos apparently it doesn’t do anything; I don’t care, I happen to be a pro-active human being and I need to hit it! Why? Bcos it is there, and the elevator door is open 5 freaking seconds after it needs to be shut.

If you’re a fairly observant human being, you would have noticed our kind – we are the ones that cling to the control panel, index finger on the mark and ready to go as soon as the last person is in; if we have the misfortune of being more than an arm’s length away we’d be gritting our teeth and clenching our fists, till someone finally reads our mind and does the needful. Boy, am I glad for my little clique! Quite like the glee that accompanies my chancing upon a fellow Maher-obsessor or die-hard steak-fanatic, my eyes light up when I see one of them enter an elevator. I heave a sigh of immense relief, resign to the rear, shut my eyes and lean against the wall, knowing full well that the job will be done...

To go cups have got to go!

One of the prerequisites of the northeastern American lifestyle is the ability to, at some point in time, use a torso and two pairs of limbs to balance your bag, an umbrella and a coffee cup for miles on end to nowhere in particular. It helps the process (and your posture) to have your bag zipped, your umbrella folded and your coffee cup securely shut. Unfortunately, much as Starbucks and the other capitalistic coffee makers out there are inherently gifted in the art of grinding beans to give just the right flavor to that caffeinated stimulant (sweet mother of all things good and pure!) they happen to be surprisingly unqualified to make a paper cup with a lid that fastens just right. Reason why, I've never had coffee from a to-go cup without it streaming down my hand or my choicest white shirt (the inherent klutz in me accepts a fraction of the blame). So, my point is (yeah, I do have one) that Starbucks should collaborate with Nissan and start offering coffee in plastic mugs with screw caps [yeah, two capitalist pigs might as well get together and screw us (pun unintended)]. Apparently Nissan’s mug can be tossed at any angle to any distance without spillage. I personally think anyone that treats coffee with such insult should be appropriately penalized, but often times it’s not really in your hands (but in the air). Here’s how: you’re juggling your keys, your cell phone and your wallet while stepping into a puddle of microbe-enriched water (another exclusive of the Northeastern lifestyle) and your coffee mug just happens to be the one that takes the plunge -- quite possibly your pride does too -- but then you could jus swoop down and pick it right back. I meant the mug, of course, your pride’s pretty much a lost cause after that.

Spring – not cool?

I mean figuratively of course. Literally, it isn’t supposed to be cool, that’s what we like about it...
So, yesterday was a fabulous 70 degree day and I was more than excited to finally go on a run that did not involve fleece or insulated nylon or mittens or headbands, or the process of adjusting, yanking or removing half or all of them midway through the trail.
But I’d forgotten that with Spring and Summer come the rest of life’s troubles -- three quarters through my usual 4-mile lope, my lungs wanted more air, my gut wanted water and my legs wanted a break. Only that wonderful thing called mindless and irrational will power saw me to the end, and the extra rush of adrenalin was oh-so-exhilarating, but I must say, my body wasn’t exactly pleased. It is all good when the 70% water your body is made of is as frozen as the river you’re running by, but when the sun’s vaporizing every ounce of liquid you drank the past week, you could inhale the river and it wouldn’t matter. So, in winter, I had to desensitize to the low temperatures – let’s face it, I had barely breathed in 0°F until then, much less run. And now, I gotta acclimatize to the heat - the tropical inhabitant of two decades of 90°F has to now acclimatize to the heat! In this energy-starved world, that just seems like an awful lot to waste. You’d think evolution would have thought of that and just made us all cold-blooded...

The Da Vinci Code hanked

Considering I think The Da Vinci Code is literally the best book ever written (this could be attributed as much to my current reading slump as to the peerless Dan Brown), I’m obviously excited about the upcoming movie, though I know from past experience that a movie adaptation is almost never nearly as good as a book. Someone got that adage all wrong -- a picture is worth a thousand words -- no amount of pictures could equal an eloquently written piece, IM-writer’s-O. In any case, I was still looking forward to this movie and hoping it would be the exception that was Jurassic Park, and wondering who could convincingly play the elite and suave (and in woman-speak, oh-so-delectable) Robert Langdon. And what did I hear? Tom Hanks! *Groan* No offense to ol’ Tom – I have loved him in almost every movie he’s ever been in, but this is clearly not a Hanks-job! The Harvard historian in his crisp white shirt and tweed jacket, who rattles off a million connotations at the mere sight of an innocuous piece of art, who couldn’t drive a stick if you put a gun to his head but could logically work his way out of a deathtrap using only his mind and who still manages to beat his peers at water polo.

After all this rambling you’re wondering if I have any suggestions. ‘Course I do. Johnny Depp!!! IMO, he’d fit the role to a tee. At least I could have sworn he could play Langdon in The Secret Window. With Hanks, we’d all just be Sleepless in Paris.

Afterthought
I've thought about it and I now think Tim Robbins will be perfect for the role (yeah, Sony Pictures is holding off release till I make up my mind). And he doesn't even have to change anything -- he just has to be Andy Dufresne (The Shawshank Redemption) or Dave Boyle (Mystic River), as is -- smart, sexy, tranquil, elite and oh-so-endearing...

When dates get convoluted

While watching the Burlington commercial for the weekend Easter sale, I happened to glance at an e-greeting from my folks back home. Wondering if they had now begun wishing me for the traditional American holidays (my mom is my most reliable source of info on Daylight saving time and long weekends), I clicked on it. The card proved to be an exercise in my native language -- mustering all of my unseasoned tamil from the forgotten recesses of my brain I unveiled a wish for New Year’s Day, celebrated around the start of the financial year all over India, albeit called differently and observed by a wide variety of creative rituals in different parts of the motherland...
When April 14th has come to largely represent DO YOUR TAXES for the past four years, it isn’t entirely my fault that the New Year needs reminding. To make up for it, I did go and pull out some sticks of unbelievably crispy cod from the freezer – a far cry from the manga pachadi of yesteryears, but till Bush delivers on his promise of delivering the mango, the fish will have to do....

17 comments:

FSN 3.0 said...

I fail to understand how Jurassic Park was an exception.

The book just blows the movie away - Spielberg cannot hold a candle to the sheer genius of Crichton.

Surely...you cannot ignore The Godfather. That was as fantastic an adaptation as any Ive seen. THE CASTING - OH MAN! Every character was perfectly cast....The Godfather II (Especially with Vito Corleone's past) was even better...

No graphics, no plastic - just pure film making genius...

Karthika said...

I haven’t read The Godfather or seen any of the movies in their entirety, but its easy to believe that the movies do justice to the book cos all they need are well-fleshed out characters and New York City. Reason why, it’s fairly easy to translate crime/political/courtroom dramas to a reasonable level of satisfaction (read: All the President’s men/the whole bunch of Grisham movies).

It’s a lot harder to translate a sci-fi book, and that much more satisfying on screen when done right.
Jurassic Park - the movie, certainly left far to be desired, esp for avid fans of the book, but in my experience Crichton adaptations come closest to being anywhere nearly as good on screen as they are on paper (think movie debacles like I-Robot & the Hitchhiker’s GTTG). Excepting The Lost World (a disaster, considering the book was arguably even better than JP in some respects), I think most of his movie-adaptations have been spellbinding.

That said, the operative word would have been “relatively” cos I don’t think a movie can ever be as good as a book. The human mind’s ability to dream up androids and aliens and dinosaurs trumps even the most amazing special effects the silver screen can garner...

Anonymous said...

Hey gurlie,

Well I do not read your blog sincerely and when I decide to, there’s usually a whole bunch of them out there to catch up...this 1 to me is clearly Dave B style.... and the thing I like about him (& often frustrates me) is that he makes humor seem so effortless...well if he could earn his bread from writing I am sure you can afford to spread butter on yours... and on the mark as far as hanks goes (i was thinking why? when i saw the ad)...well my vote would be for good old clooney.... has the looks(look of wisdom), would look great in crisp starched white cotton shirts , can wear gold rimmed glasses and not to mention the energy that bounces with every step he walks....
Well after reading your blog all that I can say -its seems like a "good Friday " after all.

Karthika said...

hehehehe, that's a compliment if ever there was one! thanks, Nans. and who better to be compared to than my favorite american columnist :) *beams*

sure nice to see ya on the blog arena, but that's not going to stop me from disagreeing -- Clooney is way too unfit to be Robert Langdon (pun very intended ;)). I'd go either with Depp (classy intellectual, flustered yet extremely cool, great in tweeds & formals & carries off metal rimmed glasses better than any man i know). if he's off limits, I'd probably go with Tim Robbins, my eternal & endearing favorite...

in defense of the movie though, the look they have given Hanks at least from the trailers seems to fit well. And knowing Hanks' exceptional acting abilities it might not be all bad...

And since I know you're dying for me to point this out the "buttering" was a good one! ;)

Anonymous said...

well I thought you would comment on the "good friday"...so much for the quotes eh?

Karthika said...

lol, i dont allow religious references on my blog. j/k
knowing me, you could assume i didnt know about it but the Easter reference gave me away, I guess :D
i still like the buttering better -- more subtle...
reminds me of Carrie's reference to her freelancing career - paraphrasing - you can't afford to be whipped cream :)

Anonymous said...

Talking about books becoming movies.....i think the most hideous thing to do is make movies outta philosophical books!....like Sophie's World and Celestine Prophecy.....why would u do that? Lets not even worry about the actor-character match...but the message itself. Philosophy is how u interpret what u read, it just cannot be presented to u on a 70mm film ....am so disappointed :( Hope they dont decide to make a movie on Khalil Gibran's Prophet. Nans, am sure u will back me on that one. Lit files are hard enough to accept...now with books becoming movies, the romance of reading will be forever lost. Though there are some exceptions like LOTR :D ofcourse.

Karthika said...

Hmmmmm, everyone’s been partial to the da vinci code...the rest of my post is feeling neglected ;)

yeah, I agree on the philosophy translation – would be like the Ayn Rand movies I am sure (which I hope to never have to watch).

As for Khalil Gibran, unless they film the pages while turning them over, I doubt it could make the cut to the silver screen :)

Naah, I don’t think the romance of reading is going anywhere; it’s those botched movie attempts that keep people going to B&N (not to mention the coffee). Now, the influence of the celluloid – that’s something to worry about...

still remember those high school days with just DD for entertainment in a dotcom free world -- there was nothing quite like curling up on the couch with the promise of a good book :)

Anonymous said...

ok, opinions i have and they are worth only the paper they are printed on(pun intended):)
1. please, please dont push that elevator close button. i warn you, i wil zap your tender hands, i will pull your nails out and then throw you down an empty elevator shaft. i havent decided yet whether i want to be in this elevator or not. i have to check out the other inmates of this space with whom i will be spending a precious 30 seconds and perhaps eternity if the darn thing gets stuck midway. Would you please allow some time for that decision to happen. Oh! and I may have to dash back out for that coffee, free space and ease my claustrophobia. i hate elevators, planes and rooms without windows.
2. If you have got too much on your hands, lose them, except the coffee. Nothing else matters!
4. I have had it upto here with da "Da Vinci" code. An absolute waste of some thoroughly fantastic ideas. All of the code breaking stuff was kiddish. Cant you come up with something better than Fibonacci series, mirror writing, and those atrocious poems. And how in the world are you going to cast someone who can be a professor as well as a man on the chase. Go figure, classically forsyth and classically unbelievable. I dont care who you pick, it is not going to work just like Russell Crowe(the gladiator) did not work in "A beautiful mind". The only thing Dan Brown has in common with Dave Barry is the initials! Enough, I say, and if I hear one more word about this book i will end up pushing the other button on the elevator - the one labeled open.

Karthika said...

Ditto you on the coffee topping priority – now, if only the coffee would pay my bills and open the locked door to my apartment! Though when I am caffeinated enough, I can sure as hell imagine it does ;)

Finally someone comments on my elevator predicament and it has to be the ‘door-open’ guy!!!! Wouldn’t it be better for a claustrophobic to shut the door and get the whole hell-ride over with? Sigh! The world sure is made of two kinds of people...you might be happy to note that you share the closed-space trait with the otherwise peerless Robert Langdon ;)

Now, getting to that, how in heaven’s name does one not like such an absolutely un-put-down-able, on-the-edge-of-the-seat book like the Da Vinci code????????????? Where do I begin????

Dave Barry! Duh! I like my Barry reading to laugh away the Monday morning blues, halfway through a really boring experiment or get through the incredibly long NBC commercials, BUT nothing in the world compares to a book that questions the most dogmatically stupid, untested, unquestioned, unproven yet guilelessly believed (and taken as absolute truth) principles of a religion that burnt truth-telling scientists at the stake, still trades abortion for capital punishment and rules the most powerful country in the world. And besides conveying a controversial message and sending the world in upheaval, the book also does so with some of the most amazingly wonderful characters ever dreamed up! It’s true that all Brown says has been said before in Holy Blood-HG, the last templar etc., but Brown’s the only one that made a bestseller out of it and for good reason....(And while I did think the poetry was lame, the Fibonacci thing was pretty cool!!)

Taking my mind of Dan Brown for the briefest of seconds, Russel Crowe in A beautiful mind was mind-blowing, literally...

Anonymous said...

if you are gonna cast somebody for robert langdon, here is my list in order :
1. dustin hoffman
2. gene hackman
3. robert redford
ooops!! different generation:) says a lot about the current crop of actors;-)

Karthika said...

If you weren’t impressed by the DVC (I'm still reeling from the after-effects of that revelation) you should at least have liked Angels and Demons (sans the incredibly stupid & melodramatic ending). Gawd, I could quote from that book forever....such wisdom....here’s a few pearls from that gem of a book; Brown’s genius is not jus in conveying a message but in doing it so eloquently that you wonder if you even understood the English language before he came along.....

Having faith requires leaps of faith, cerebral acceptance of miracles – immaculate conceptions and divine interventions. And then there are the codes of conduct.
The Bible, the Koran, Buddhist scripture...they all carry similar requirements--and similar penalties. They claim that if I don’t live by a specific code I will go to hell. I can’t imagine a God who would rule that way...
Robert Langdon, Angels and Demons.

And the absolute classic:

Faith does not protect you. Medicine and airbags...those are things that protect you. God does not protect you. Intelligence protects you. Enlightenment. Put your faith in something with tangible results. How long has it been since someone walked on water? Modern miracles belong to science...computers, vaccines, space stations...even the divine miracle of creation. Matter from nothing...in a lab. Who needs God? No! Science is God.

Karthika said...

gee, you beat me to my second comment...i dunno if that speaks of the current generation of actors or yours ;)

i still think Tim Robbins rules...Uhmmm, maybe a younger gene hackman...certainly not hoffman!

Anonymous said...

"Where do I begin????"
the only thing i found interesting about it was all the amazing facts about the paintings, vinci's tricks he played, and the little fortune cookies hidden in various places. his characterization is straight out of a thriller with little or no substance.
Fibonacci thing was pretty cool!!
agreed. all i am saying is it is too famous. would have liked something a little more esoteric.
book that questions
i will grant he did do his part to question the conventional wisdom. but it is too explosive to use in an argument about religious beliefs. in general it is useless to argue with a fanatic. and for those who are not, christianity is just as much about humanity as any other religion. the characters in his book are appalled at taking lives and only do so when they think it is absolutely necessary.
They claim that if I don’t live by a specific code I will go to hell.
the operating word is code. going to hell is simply a means to ensure adherence to it. since i disagree with codes and penalties, i will go with him on this one.
Put your faith in something with tangible results.
this one is a tangle. it sounds alright and relatively common sensical. but i see logic and science leading to a conclusion that there is no point to all the motivations that support my living. i live to make money, have a fast car etc...if these desires are simply a product of a bunch of electrical impulses then whats the point? dead end!
Russel Crowe in A beautiful mind was mind-blowing
exactly! he was russell crowe. not john nash! thats why it was so good. if he had been john nash, people would have got up and walked out in the first 10 minutes.
certainly not hoffman
of course hoffman. the only credible choice really. i would rather see the professor than the ultra cool guy on a relatively unnecessary chase. oh! because humanity is not ready for the truth of the holy grail:)

Karthika said...

Of course the fibonacci thing was famous....hence all the more interesting to the lay reader. He could have invented a code we didn’t follow, but I doubt that would have been much fun. I prefer books in a language I can understand ;)

‘They claim that if I don’t live by a specific code I will go to hell’.

That’s what the law does too – punish you for your sins, but the difference is that the law says it as it is. The law doesn’t proclaim that it “forgives and forgets” before doling out the penalty...both God (or what men make of him) and the law seem to have the same rules; the former merely makes grandiose claims of being noble, the latter gives you a pragmatic way of living while letting others live. If anything, God’s punishments are more callous, but he’s inculpable bcos he’s floating around above all of us and hence exempt from the rules that apply to mortals...

If these desires are simply a product of a bunch of electrical impulses then whats the point?

What point are you looking for?
Salvation? Being one with a god that may or may not exist? How about procreation, which albeit dull, is at least believable cos I can see it? How about the nobel or the pullitzer, however tangible it may be? Hell, at least it is there...

Why cant human beings jus accept the fact that life is a set of events that jus happened, at least till we find some proof of something else? I don’t have a problem with miracles as long as people accept that that is just what they are....magic with no basis....hell, science proves things beyond a reasonable doubt and still has disclaimers and assumptions at the end of it, cos we cannot be sure even after reproducing it a zillion times...

And that is precisely the reason why Angels and Demons is an ingenious piece of work cos it allows a marriage of science and religion without taking anything away from either...that’s what leo vetra does in the book --- use science to prove the baseless belief that is divine intervention...

[why would the professor go on an unnecessary chase? the ultra cool guy jus might, and keep a damsel riveted to the screen as well ;)]

Anonymous said...

What point are you looking for?
none. but i aint arguing with people who want to have their own personal beliefs in order to get through life on some terms. that is my version of humanity.
I prefer books in a language I can understand
hmmm...i prefer books that tell me something i dont know and hopefully can understand.:)
latter gives you a pragmatic way of living while letting others live
accepted and chastened:)
Why cant human beings jus accept the fact that life is a set of events that jus happened
agreed...
why would the professor go on an unnecessary chase?
sorry. i meant the professor uncovering hidden secrets or a cool guy going on a chase. i have no problems with damsels being riveted to the silver screen. its just that i am nerdy and am jealous of cool slick depp, hence feel out competed on the coolness front where not even my corny sense of humor has any redemption:) but my kids still love me (i hope, one is never sure) and depp can go stuff himself for all i care. i am throwing in the towel on this one, there is no logic to it:)

Karthika said...

LMAO, for what it's worth, I dont think any man with half a brain needs to be jealous of a movie star (now Roger Federer or Bill Maher -- that's a different matter entirely :)). And i do think you have half ;) (alright, if it were anatomically possible, you'd have more than one :))...

wow, life sure is easier once you have kids, huh? i've heard that from every parent on earth...they're so easy to please and their pleasure is that much more rewarding -- hmmmm, nothin like the unconditional devotion of a child, I guess...