Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Monday, August 22, 2005

Rooting for the wrong dog

Despite the dozens of little coffee shops dotting the streets in quaintly cultured Hoboken or the teeming espresso bars in the rocky town of Fort Collins, I searched out the familiar green circle of Starbucks wherever I went. I paid the extra buck for whipped cream and another three for wireless internet without a thought that a million other places not only didn’t charge you for the perks but also refrained from such allures as exotic looking mugs and coffee makers.

Drinking coffee from a familiar cup is one thing, but when an entire country votes in favor of the candidate they can “relate to” or a huge section of the tennis-loving populace calls an icon like Pete Sampras boring you have problems. You may not identify with a guy that was captain of the debating team at Yale, but you’re not picking a high school buddy, you’re picking someone to sit in the highest office in the nation. As for the supernatural that conceded just one match in 57 matches at Wimbledon in eight straight years, I can think of a hundred adjectives --- and boring is certainly not one of them.

This unconditional devotion to the underdog fascinates me a great deal. I have never rooted for an underdog, except in the case of cricket, where India was long the poorer bet in a match-up against the Aussies or the Windies and patriotism and peer-induced fervor overcame my love of infallibility. My contention is this: we can’t always pick to be winners or losers in real life situations, but we sure can pick our idols :)

Since I believe sport (especially individual sport) is one of the few situations where you can see people’s true personalities in action (somewhat like an unadulterated reality show), I am mainly talking here of sporting underdogs, except for Bush, cos let’s face it, I can never pass up a chance to talk about Dubya; he lends natural fodder for humor even when I am at my funniest worst and if that’s the reason he got elected to a second term, so be it. After all, laughter is an integral part of the American way and Friends, Frasier and Sex and the City signed off earlier that same year leaving people no choice but to turn to politics for humor ;)

Not to be unfair to underdogs, there is of course a very real reason to love players like Andy Roddick who are so incredibly gracious in defeat. The ace-blasting American heartthrob never passes up a chance to shower praise on Federer and has openly declared that Roger is not only the best player ever but also a wonderful human being. In yesterday’s zillionth defeat against Federer, side-stepping his ailing foot (literally), he acknowledged that Roger ‘was already kicking my butt before that’. Lines like 'I threw the kitchen sink at him but he went to the bathroom and got his tub' come easily to Andy and his sense of humor in defeat is sometimes more laudable than Federer’s successes.

But let’s face it, we have also loved the racket-throwing, tear-jerking Ivanisevic, while he took something away from Sampras’ unparalleled victories and cheered for a tantrum-throwing, abuse-hurling McEnroe, in the face of a composed and gracious Borg. Time and time again, the crowds are on the side of the underdog, cheering him on, rooting for every easy point won, every stroke of luck that moves him forward, waging a raucous, albeit, losing battle against the silent invincibility that players like Roger and Pete display.

I was rooting for the Yankees in last year’s playoffs (more because I root for ANYthing New york than any real love for the team; besides, I was fed up of hearing media personnel and politicians alike wonder if this would be the year the ‘curse’ would be lifted). And I noticed increasingly that all of mankind was cheering on the Red Sox against the “evil empire”. Everyone outside of New York, it seemed -- in bars, the work-place and broadcast news -- was unequivocally pro-Sox. Why, I asked a die-hard Red Sox fan. We root for the underdog, it’s un-American not to. That explains the elections, I thought. Of course, some might argue that Kerry was the underdog, the guy trying to overthrow an incumbent and entice a formidable red-state enormity, but once the debates were on, and Bush started his defense with “he forgot Polland” Kerry was the irrefutable topdog. Unfortunately, one that was too smart, too composed and too self-assured for people to “relate” to.

Then again, there are inevitable winners like Lance Armstrong, that boast of a huge fan following. But here, the allegiance is more because lesser mortals can feel a certain sympathy for him due to his struggle with cancer, probably because it makes him more of a human being. I have never heard more support for Sampras than I did during the Australian open where he broke free of his shackles and cried for his coach and friend who was then battling death.

Right from Shakespeare’s As you like it, where we all loved seeing the david-grade Orlando overthrow the goliath-grade Charles, most of us tend to associate a good-over-evil aspect to a contest and root for the player that can induce a certain amount of compassion, even if he is the least likely of winners.

Is the human being’s natural sympathy for the underdog due to a sadistic tendency that craves to see a success story falter (toppling of icons like Martha Stewart and Dan Rather seem to have an ominous element of deep satisfaction), or is it merely that we want to see a human being up there who can display weakness from time to time and tell us that despite our shortcomings, we could be there some day?

6 comments:

FSN 3.0 said...

Americans root for the underdog because (and I quote my Coconut Cousin - brown on the outside white on the inside) "Rooting for the best guy is no fun"

I think rooting for the underdog is simply a sort of reverse bandwagon effect: You DONT want to simply go with the best, because you have to appreciate what the guy 2nd in line has to go through.

Here's yet another quote from Jerry Seinfeld on the subject:

" You know, you win the gold, you feel good. You win the bronze, you think "well, at least I got something". But you win that silver, that's like:

- "Congratulations, you... almost won."

-"Of all the losers, you came in first of that group".

-"You're the Number One loser".

- "No one lost ahead of you".

The underdog has to live with that the rest of his life.

How about that?

Anonymous said...

there's nothin wrong with underdogs...i love 'em; i root for andy till the finals so i can watch him lose to federer. there are no winners w/o the runners-up.
what i cannot understand is why the underdogs are always more "popular" as people...even when they are not the nicest of people.
like you talk of the bandwagon effect with some element of disgust, I am fed up of the creme-de-la-creme being treated like they are bad human beings jus cos they are on top.
labels such as arrogant, boring and 'not passionate enough' are just pinned on them with no real insight into their character. if a guy wins all the time, doesnt mean he is arrogant, and if he is, then hell, he deserves to be! And just cos he seems to win effortlessly does not mean there is no effort or passion.
and i am not jus talkin of sports--- in academia, in the corporate world, in politics, a certain sense of "bad" or "evil" is always associated with the people on top. they are not so much appreciated for their successes as they are denigrated for their character. their professional success is taken for granted and then high standards are imposed on their sense of morality/character.

FSN 3.0 said...

Well I think some people can be right at the top and yet be humble (not modest, humble).

Donald Trump says (In The Art Of The Deal & How To Get Rich)"If you dont tell people how successful you are, then people might not know"

I never believe in modesty. Modesty is for people who dont believe in themselves enough, IMHO :-)

However Toppers can definitely be humble.

Pete Sampras - was world no.1 for a record 2xx weeks. 14 Slams. Not a peep out of him (to his disadvantage because he might have probably won more fans that way)

There are more examples:

Jack Nicklaus - Golf's greatest (Compare him with Tiger Woods who goes around acting like a spoiled brat)

I can go on and on.

From what I have seen of American sports and the taste of american fans from Basketball, Baseball, Football - they seem to hate the most popular team, or the most popular guy - in general.

Its supposedly 'cooler' to root for the underdog -

and sometimes their decision is easier when the top dog is well - just a dog.

If the top dog wouldn't go around tooting his/her own horn - then maybe somebody else might want to blow it for them.

However - you are right.Theres no such thing that the best is necessarily 'evil'.

That said John Kerry didn't exactly win millions of supporters over when he came up with something like "I am John Kerry and I am reporting for duty" at the Democratic convention. How many time would he have practised that line - and how much of imaginary applause would he have envisioned?

It was a very corny line - although I felt it was a great opening line it sort of left a real bad aftertaste.

Finally - wants to see Tom Brady and the Patriots keep doing it over and over and over every single year? It gets annoying after a while...

Let them slip up a little - and be human.

Just like the rest of us.

Then --they'll be the underdog.

Probably win more supporters too
:-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I have a problem – I love arrogance esp “when you have the goods to back it up” (paraphrasing Samantha, S&TC).
I love the Shaqs over the Kobes, the Mahers over the Stewarts and I adore trumpet-blowers like Terrel Owens and Donald Trump.
Humility is truly a wonderful trait, esp when you are up there, but to me the arrogance that comes with players like McEnroe and Connors (and Roger to a great extent vis-a-vis Pete) adds a certain degree of confidence and self-belief to an alreeady exalted personality. You’re right though --- once in a while it’s great to see a Sampras who conveys his message through his game alone, but like you say, that’s also the reason he didn’t have too many fans. So there goes your theory that if a topdog didn’t toot his own horn then someone else is going to do it for him. On second thoughts, maybe they would have if he had the pony tail and ring on his ear like Andre.
That’s my problem with sport --- there’s too much credit attributed to the bells and whistles.

As for politics, sure, John Kerry didn’t really play his cards right but let’s face it, the reason he didn’t win was cos he was too “cold and distant”. Maher hit the nail on the head when he said a man of the people cant be a man of intellect and that is exemplified by Bush. And really, after ALL the issues to Bush's discredit (the war, WMD, the national guard, the debates) with an averagely intelligent population Kerry could have won w/o making a single campaign trip. What scares me is that people in middle America seem to like dubya's incompetence and his problem with phonetics; it’s alright if you cheer for the red sox, but please don’t make someone president cos he’s a step closer to you on the ladder (or in this case, practically on the bottom rung).
As for the Patriots, geography dictates my allegiance to the Eagles and though they lost at the superbowl, I thought they were awesome (incidentally the first superbowl I watched from start to finish).

FSN 3.0 said...

I definitely love Shaq - he is my most favorite player in the entire league. He's not modest but he's humble - and has a heart as big as he is.Plus, he's just cool.

I love the Donald as well, but then he's not really in sports or running for office, is he.

T.O - is a different case. If you're following the NFL right now, you'll know that T.O's king sized ego is getting in the way of his business relationship with Donovan McNabb. I'm afraid The eagles might be headed in the same direction as the Lakers in 04.

When the ego could be a potential detriment- especially in team sports like Football then there's a definite problem. It was the same problem with Kobe.

There are those that watch sports for the sport, and there are those that watch it for the entertainment.The bells and whistles might probably appeal to the latter category. I think what Sampras had was pure confidence - the ability to dig himself out of 0-40 holes by serving up 3 continuous aces, or the ability to hit that slam-dunk smash , or even the running forehand crosscourt from way beyond the court. However Sampras didn't really need to toot his own horn - 14 Grand Slams do it for him.

Although I dont support republicans (except for the Governator) I will take Dubya over Kerry anyday - because I think ultimately that's the best for India: Whatever my political views are - phir bhi dil hai hindustani :-)

Speaking about that what is your take on Indian politics?

[Btw you can forget any hopes of the Eagles making it even to the conference finals this year. Maybe if T.O leaves, because Donovan being the QB, is more important to the team)

Anonymous said...

Ok, now. I don’t really know the difference b/w humility and modesty, but arrogance I can see – and love :)
I know what you mean by the sport for sport vs sport for entertainment thing. I usually watch sport for entertainment except tennis where I am more nervous than the players (which is not saying much considering Pete’s/Roger’s level of composure ;)). In fact, I don’t watch basketball but I love seeing shaq and kobe together---or against each other :). But even so, I can identify a good player when I see one and my allegiance immediately is to infallibility vs the hype and hoopla.

I jus finished watching the Eagles and I am telling ya, they cant do w/o TO. Such an awesome touchdown in the first play ---and in his first game after the injury...he’s simply splendid.
I agree that team sport requires a certain degree of cooperativity, but I think they pick on TO too much. And whatever feud mcNabb and him have off court, on-court they’re great together. And if TO can be appeased, I think they’ll make the NFC championship. And don’t start throwing stats at me cos I am a rookie football watcher.

Hmmmm, ditto on the republicans being good for India thing. But I do think a half-libertarian like John Mcaine would be good for India AND the US, cos he’s a bonafide fiscal conservative and I'm rooting for him in '08 (which reminds me, I don’t think my pearls of wisdom on Orkut reached ya, cos my orkut seems to have become defunct on account of neglect :( ). But now it falls short of the scope of discussion, so will spare ya the babble. In any case, if you like Arnie you’re coming way close to intruding the line b/w liberals and libertarians, my friend (I hate Arnie or for that matter anyone that says “cull-ifornia and I personally think he should stick to being terminator, but he’s a libertoid and I do like most of his policies). Add free action to your free speech outcry and you are almost there on libertarian land ;)

Hmmm…Indian politics; I think Congress rocks and I have always hated the BJP’s religious fanaticism, but I was discussing this with a friend the other day and I wonder if India will actually be better off as a non-secular country. I absolutely adore our religious tolerance and the fact that we have a muslim president, but are we are just pretending to be something we aren’t? I mean, history tells us that our politics has been ruled by religion and most Indians put religion above everything else; Plus I do think the muslim minority is taking advantage of all the latitude it gets.
That said, ever since Manmohan singh became PM, I have renewed hope for our country. Now, all we need to do is call upon Amartya Sen and Gurcharan Das to join Chidambaram and the gang to plan our economic policy : )
It’s ironical that we elect the smartest libertarian on the planet & a few months later dubya is voted to a second term. Much as we are getting progressive, Uncle Sam’s getting regressive……