Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Monday, November 21, 2005

Letting go of the wrong dog

There must be something to this unconditional devotion to a team cos try as I might, I have been unable to shed my allegiance to the faltering, losing, fault-plagued Eagles this season.

Since I have always extolled sticking with the winners, I’ve been making quite a few attempts to let go of the wavering birds from the land of brotherly love, albeit unsuccessfully.

I decided the Colts were a safe bet (a 10-to-0 safe bet to be precise) and much as I love their seeming infallibility and the Peyton-Marvin duo, I realized, to my dismay, that I’d much rather root for the controversy-&-hernia-ridden Donovan pass to Owens, and watch TO play maitre D, however rare or impossible a sight that might be.

My next choice was the other Manning-led team, serving not only the city-state of endless joy but also playing in my older much-loved residence -- you’d think that would be allegiance enough. But much as they are aw-w-w-w-wesome, I was watching the birds play the giants last afternoon and couldn’t quell that teeny little hope that a McNabb-less, TO-less Eagles team that has been fumbling all season long was going to perform a magic act and actually beat the leading team in the NFC East. Didn’t happen.

Since I am in the process of trying out, I then tried out the Steelers (I’ve spent many a day, week and month in the steely town and owe denizenship on account of a couple best pals inhabiting the cloudy sun-less city), but even the enthusiasm of Big Ben and his rushing buddies wasn’t enough to keep me hooked onto them.

Finally, my last resort: the team from my most recent older dwelling, powered as much by fond memories of the mile-high state as the fact that the Broncos seem indefatigable this year (not to mention the observation that their QB is the hottest ever in the NFL ;)), but my channel-surfing seemed inexplicably to come to a stop on the Eagles game, even while Bell was scoring TD after TD on the next station (and considering my surfing abilities, that is saying something).

I find it quite baffling cos I don’t like rooting for losers. And it takes me down memory lane, to when I sat in a packed living room with family and friends and cheered for the Indian cricket team till my lungs deflated, even in near-impossible scenarios. No doubt, it had a lot to do with being Indian, but it also had a lot to do with a team you started your love affair for a game with...something far more binding than geography, personnel and principle...a sort of unconditional devotion if you will, no questions asked, no answers expected...

I am not revising my stand on rooting for the wrong dog because if I were to (God forbid!) start watching the NBA tomorrow, I would sure as hell start with the Spurs. My love has nothing to do with the Indian team being the underdogs then or the Eagles being the poor prospect now, just a certain inexplicable bond established at a time when they earned my fondness, that the loss of a couple players, a few bad games or pathetic performance an entire season is not going to take away.

Same reason why, as much as my adoration for Sampras was based on his invincibility, I couldn’t give up on him in his final faltering two years, cheering him on as I did till the minute he hung up his racket. And now Roger can rest assured of my undeterred adulation for as long as he holds one (this, in the face of his defeat to the miraculous Nalbandian at the Masters'.)

So while the offense is doing a pathetic job and barely able to complete a first down, I am quite content to sit and root for Kearse and Trotter who are doing all they can to keep them in the game or yell in delight when Reggie Brown steps up to the plate and helps out a faltering, unseasoned QB by making a near-impossible touchdown catch...

Now, with the Eagles’ playoff hopes dim, if not non-existent, would it make my life just a wee bit easier to root for the Colts? Sure, but loving the quadrupeds is that much harder after having loved the birds all too dearly so long...quirks, TO, sports-hernia and all...

2 comments:

mitokondrion said...

Good to see ur around and writing away! stoopid rss-reader hasn't shown your new posts, was getting worried, glad I stopped by the 'traditional way' :)

yeah, wasn't the final (awesome roger and strong nal) simply amazing? H is now a die-hard Roger-supporter and am quite envious that he's a better fan than I am :P
bet he can't compete with u though!

Loved your musings on USA's good points too!

I miss u and sinews over at my crista, but guess my writing's been SG-centric lately... still, hope to see y'all soon! Catch my new feed! :D

Karthika said...

hey mito,
that's what happens when biologists get into this business of feeds and rss etc. me, i jus like to sit back and blame it on the computer...
yep, i haven’t been blog-browsing in a while (too caught up in work, or at least I pretend to be), though i do make sure i check my comments section religiously :)
as for FS, my guess is he fell off the couch 'sleepin' in seattle...they all wake up though the day the sun comes out :D

yeah your blog's been catering too much to the locals lately X-( isn't that what s'pore-this-week is for? (see, i am slowly catching on...)
i'll go post a comment now -- your last post kinda reminded me of somethin from hi-skool :)

as for Roger, I’m sure glad I am promoting my cause *gloats* tell H he has to get in line though. For now, it’s Johnny Mac followed closely by me :)
PS: thats a nice pic you've got there...