Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

No such thing as political science

As he so often is, Chris Matthews was bang on target last week, in his definition (or lack thereof) of Political Science:

I don't think there is such a thing as political science.... I think political science is an oxymoron. I don't know what this science is they keeping talking about.....How you can justify calling yourself a political scientist, when the whole thing is about art and personality and—and smart argument and circumstance?

I second this with firsthand experience because that discord between science and the arts is the primary reason for my proverbial fork in the road: one relies on hard evidence and absolute data, the other does away with factual rigidity by celebrating nuances, interpretations and abstractions – it's the tangible vs. the intangible and they don't ever plan to meet halfway.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

couldn't have said it better gurlie!!!
your shorter versions of the blog read so much better and the message does not get diluted.
great piece.
nans

Karthika said...

With ample help from Chris Matthews of course! Glad you like 'em...
yep, a snippet here and there that conveys the essential point is way better (esp for someone that hopes to be a journo -- and doesn't find the time to write 1000-word long diatribes ;)).

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Nans here..just browsed ur posts from yore! Not to pigeonhole you, I have to say, you would be a wonderful essayist. But I do wonder if you watch TV with a notepad in your hands! Can not agree more with the Hardball paragon!

Karthika said...

ever heard of transcripts? ;)
though I must say Chris Matthews is worth sitting down with pen and paper for...
I think I'm trying to segue into shorter, pithier (hopefully) from long and rambling....

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Unknown said...

Certainly the FULL STOP is not your favorite punctuation mark.
;-)