Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Thursday, March 23, 2006

What's in a name?

A whole heckuva LOT, if you had mine. 24 letters and 10 syllables, to be precise ;)

Hence, I have a whole series of nicks and fancy nicks and abbreviations and abridgments, self-endowed or otherwise. I’ve even kept some contributed by some very spiteful foes, and despite myself, I think they sound a tad better than the real ones .

Ironically enough, not until I moved to the land of strictly-ten-spaces-to-fit-your-name-on-the-tax-form, did I realize the perks of having a long name :)

In India - where the rule of christening follows the general principles of life, namely, make it as complex as humanly possible - names are made as long as the alphabet would allow, and then initialized. We even smugly expand on the initials -- for instance, K would be Kay and V would be Vee -- or shorten them to something fancier (for the uninitiated, abbreviation doesn’t require exalted levels in creativity cos they are usually a conglomeration of the choicest words, and you could pick between “good” and “pretty” and “loving” and “god”, and even among the million gods :)).

For a million bureaucratic reasons, my last name stuck on my passport and tagged along with me to Sam’s land, all 16 letters of it...

But not to worry -- like I adapted to the ‘specious yankee hello’ in my very innovative fashion ;), I’ve come up with some helpful solutions for those of you similarly plagued with that seemingly un-enunciable last name. Another important point of this piece, of course, is to educate the non-Indian and that occasional Indian who is blissfully unaware of the trials and tribulations of his long-named brethren (most often the one that gets away with the all-too-easy Das or Rao, which make even Smith look like a lot of work).

Believe me, there is no better conversation starter with a stranger than one that follows what I like to call the ‘moniker-stupefaction’. It certainly trumps the weather and it beats that Knicks-conversation hands down (yeah, they don’t just suck on the court).

“Oh my god, you have all the letters in there,” is the most common remark after squint-eyed perusal of your drivers license or credit card, your godiva martini or paycheck, momentarily forgotten. As for your response, you have many options, depending on the person, the situation and your own affability levels. If they seem to have too much time on their hands (almost always the bartender at your friendly neighborhood bar), you could proceed to explain to them which ones are actually amiss, provided you’re sober enough to recount A to Z. If they don’t seem to be particularly eager to extend the conversation (almost always the sales girl at that packed grocery store), simply – “Yeah, I get that a lot”, followed by the universal American suffix, the smile (I myself can manage a pretty decent half-grin :D).

Then there’s, “You must have had one hell of a hard time spelling that when you were little.” Here, you could go with the smartass, “Yeah, I almost sued my parents for child abuse” or take the more earnest route and tell them that you used initials, so you didn’t have to spell it out when you were 4 (my own little bit at educating Americans on the ways of the rest of the world).

The overenthusiastic salesperson requires the most work – “You have got to say this,” she says and the cheery glint in her eyes is hard to quench with curt denial. Uh-oh, allowing time for your own enunciation followed by a zillion failed attempts at hers, you can be sure your cappuccino will be a long time coming. Cursing your tough luck that you couldn’t jus dig up four bucks and save yourself 15 minutes, you try to be the sympathetic Samaritan and play along. After all, not being able to say your last name is her singular problem in life – “It’s actually not hard to say at all – just intone the syllables one by one. It’s not that much more complicated than say, Mississippi.” (It’s a good thing Americans are too polite to retort with, “That’s why it’s abbreviated to MS you doofus. We don’t usually have to say it.”) So, if you want my advice, the smarter citation would be Au Bon Pain. There seems to be a consensus on Au and bon but the jury is still out on pain – is it “pain” like it should be (owing in part to the awful coffee), “pen” or “paan”?

But you gotta give credit where it’s due -- for those that mercifully shorten gasoline to gas, spell sulphur with an f and humour without the u, and do away with complicated words like postpone, choosing to instead put it off, they try where it least matters. And I’ve successfully had about 5 of them say my multisyllablic, mellifluous, Dravidian last name...5 and counting...

I’m now wondering if my 8-letter, easy-to-intone first name is much too boring...I should probably rechristen to something more exciting. Hmmm, there’s a thought...

12 comments:

Dream Sporting said...

I tried and tried...but couldn't come up with a Dravidian name that extends for 16 letters. 'Surianarayanan'is the best I could come up with :)hmmm...

Karthika said...

hehehe, keep guessing...
here's a crossword-grade hint for ya:

if god were young, he'd like to have this chaste white stone for sure... :D

on a completely different note, can god be young if he's immortal? never thought of that :O

chitte vyakhyana said...

hi there,
i have been an avid reader of your entries for a while and i could easily plagarise this one faster than spelling out MY last dravidian name (that has to do with infant gods too).
and an addition to your article would be the element of appriciation for the name uttered by the brave heart across from me. a "good job, you did it! not many people get THAT!" leaves behind a very happy soul with moments of contentment akin to touching the magical scores on the GRE testing (giving all desis moments of competative, gloating comparision...).
though not immensely bonded to my 15 letters- you do score 1 more over me- a sense of attached-detached, "oh yeah it is a part of my identification", "yeah, whatever", sometimes does recede when faced with the japanese-belgian, french speaking woman with 2 letters more in her last name. wait a minute! one doesn't even know which letters not to pronounce and the syllables don't correspond with the written text! give me a break..and people (mostly born-in-america, been-in-america- longer-than-you-have-been desis) need to dump those smirks when they hear/look at my name. and smirks are really bad for the wannabe botox/chem peel faces anyway.
so, i have my name and i keep it. it is one of the better conversation starters than most and yes, katrix, it is definitely more interactive than the weather.:) if i am feeling particularly benovelent or have oodles of time to kill and connect with my 'identity', i can even write it in my language with all those curves and give a short tutoring session right there. always emphatically ending with "you are a quick learner, you SHOULD go to india..no, not the north, go to south india..." and more if its a truly interested soul. if not, then i practice my half smile...

Karthika said...

Hey Smitts,

You’re right. A little encouragement is always in order after a herculean phonetic effort, be it with supercalifragalisticexpialidosious or a complicated last name :) and my little bit is usually “that’s as close as anyone has gotten” and quite a few have gotten pretty close ;) Other than the absolutely unforgivable inability to pronounce the h in ‘th’ (a syllable I am fast realizing is exclusive to Indian languages) I am pretty generous with my compliments :)

Hmm, I haven’t encountered too many smirks; it’s more like open-mouthed shock, sometimes amusement...but it doesn’t really bug me, cos after all, what’s in a name...it was the American incomprehensibility of the rightly spoken English words in my FOB years that really got to me. But now I have successfully distorted my language enough to be understood :D

that’s true – Indian names might be long but they are usually easy to enunciate when you break them up into syllables, unlike some European ones.

Yeah, it’s the American curiosity about other cultures that really interests me, so I’m more than happy to give lessons in tamil or hindi :) I’ve even tried it with English (having learnt it from the founders an’ all) but that doesn’t usually go very well ;)

FSN 3.0 said...

8 letter in my first name, and 10 in my second name. That gives the rest of em no chance...The easiest way is to call me by the same last name as one extremely talented young quarterback from the south...

Karthika said...

hmmm, 18...still doesn’t trump mine though :)

you’re fortunate your first name allows for an American-friendly nick...you do realize I could out your identity on the blogosphere by mentioning that QB don’t ya? he’s pretty cool, though you must know, glories don’t come from namesakes...

you’d be better off using the second part of your name...it does break up nicely :) mine’s pretty much unbreakable :|

AN said...

No, nothing trumps yours for sure as far as I know. I do remember guessing those 16 letters almost perfectly back in the summer of '03, without you giving me a lot of hints. I really don't know how I managed to decipher it though. Maybe I was a Southie during my previous birth, as V says. ;)

Karthika said...

yeah, almost, but incredible nonetheless :)

and from a person whose first, middle (yeah, i know what it is!) and last names together are still shorter than my last name alone...

lol...southie...if oothapam expertise is anything to go by, sure!

Dream Sporting said...

Blogging is pleasure. And I refuse to use my brain for that. So, I choose to pass the hint. Not that I would have much luck trying it.

Regarding God being young....well, since he gets to choose his age(an assumption among the very many in this case, one of them being the assumption that he exists), I think he would have (or atleast should have) chosen to remain a 11th standard bloke! :D

Karthika said...

DUH, after i literally spelt it out to you...
anyway, yeah, bloggin is all about pleasure, till you start makin anti-Sampras comments, at least ;)
lol, too many assumptions regarding God, and the funny thing is we still keep giving him such a "human" form, and he's spossed to be far from human!

Dream Sporting said...

That's an interesting point. Do you have any specific form for him in mind?

Karthika said...

hmmm, i'm tempted to say Roger Federer (esp considering his phenomenal match today), but he does have a human form :(

Jokes apart, IMO, God shouldn't have a form -- he's a feeling, a belief, an idea, not an entity.