Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Monday, July 24, 2006

Finally, the Pete you’ve always wanted...

In his return to tennis, Sampras puts the focus on grinning, writes Karen Crouse of the New York Times. And the world sighs in relief.

If people didn’t like Pete Sampras before, they should certainly do now – cos finally, he’s doing the two things he failed to do during his glorious ATP career – smile, and lose.

I watched Sampras lose two matches at the WTT Tournament on TV last weekend and decided to ignore the ticket I had safely tucked in my cabinet a month ago, my maiden opportunity to see the tennis sensation on the other side of a celluloid screen forgotten without much ado. If my first flesh and blood sighting of Pete has got to be one where his backhand is rusty, his frame stiff and his second serve not nearly as good as everyone’s first, I decided to forgo it and stick with the memories.

Meanwhile, Pete seems to have learned something from his more popular and less talented counterparts – that an endearing shake of the head and an amused smile go a long way when you miss that easy volley. Unfortunately, I don’t watch Pete Sampras for amusement or endearment – that’s what Hugh Grant is for, or Andy Roddick, for that matter.

But while Pete’s return to tennis has been a tad disappointing for me (I’m being unrealistic of course – this is his first real tournament after four years of retirement, but hell, nothing’s realistic about Pete), I’m guessing it should be vindicating for the Pete-bashing section of the world.

They must be stopping short, taking notice, and saying – aaahh, a Sampras that flexes his facial muscles, a Sampras that loses – finally, a Sampras we can all get on board with...

So, good samaritan that I am, I think they should savor it while it lasts, cos knowing Pete, his losing streak does not have long to run...Once the warm-up’s done, he’ll be too busy making his way to silver to find the time to grin.

Cos there are two kinds of tennis players in this world – those that grin and those that win.

4 comments:

FSN 3.0 said...

Well said....I'm back btw :=).

I have seen wry smiles from Sampras - usually when his opponent gets the benefit of a tough call...or when he misses an easy shot. These media hounds choose to ignore such past occurences and that's annoying...

Karthika said...

Lol, I see the increment in your advancement as a human being (or is that a robot? ;)) did India do that to you? Always somethin to learn from the motherland isn’t there?

Yeah, Pete’s facial expressions were almost as subtle as his shot-making...reason why people missed both ;) if they need any proof that Sampras is human they should go back and watch his ’95 Oz Open QF vs. Courier. He was clearly in mental agony and he came back from 2 sets down to win, and what is more, that situation seemed to goad him to the victory. How can people not admire that?

FSN 3.0 said...

You betcha.I found a bug in the system and have upgraded accordingly.

Meanwhile..looks like Real Time is coming back on - 8/25 I think. Excited? :-)

Karthika said...

hmmm, the world would be a better place with a human Symantec. imagine one that got in the brain and wiped out all religious thoughts ;)

Bill M, yeah...he's going to be dwarfed by the other infallible Swissman for a couple weeks tho' :)