Egotism ....a lifelong romance

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Resolution: Be wary of that stranger in your inbox!

It’s that time of year again and you’ve spent about two weeks thinking up the best protocol for that big moment on New Year’s eve -- it could be a fine party, a bar-spree or watching a crystal ball drop; in essence, they all achieve the same thing: pretend that the 31st of December is somehow different from the other 364 days and a fifth. The universal laws of physics and astronomy and sociology shake your deep-rooted belief, however, because the sun still rises and sets (I don’t see it from my corner of the world but everybody swears it’s out there somewhere) and people still say hello and comment on the weather (New York city dares to be a little different because there it is more like hello followed by a ribbing in the stomach or running you over). All said, just another typical day.

However, there’s one thing that promises to be different, no matter what:

You open your email New Year’s day and find a deluge of messages from people whose names you barely remember, some that were on your “ignore” list, but miraculously got back in, thanks to the efficiency that is yahoo and others that don’t particularly care whether you have a great moment or hour, let alone, a whole year. So, while you are still just getting over your annoyance at the clearly meaningless names in the sender’s list, frowning at one that sounds very much like the guy back in college who’s most sociable skill was an ominous stare, it promises to get worse. You open all the emails simply because you have to. Also, following the hype and hoopla of the night before, New Year’s day itself is pretty laidback and you’re not sure what you would rather do. Plus, protocol dictates that you do something newyeary. What better than opening New Year messages? So, you open each email and find out that ALL of them read the same:

Dear All,

Wish you & your family & friends a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year 2006 !!


I should grant them this: they all get the year right. So, it’s not something as hollow as copy-pasting last year’s message or sending a pre-designed draft, mind you. But I am thinking yahoo and every other mail service should let go of the “send to all on your address book” feature, cos preceding the two-line message that I now have indelibly stored in my long-term memory from having seen it year after year and message after message, is an endless list of people totally irrelevant to me and my life (I admit, just a tad more than the sender himself). The more tech-savvy ones have learnt to do the bcc thing, which doesn’t really help, because the “all” speaks volumes, and you’re left wondering how many million fortunate beneficiaries you are part of.

And that gets my over-active mind pondering over how much of the well-wishing I could realistically get. I mean, this person wants not just me and my family and friends (which accounts for about 20 people off the top of my head and 100 if I sat and counted), but the whole wide world and its family and friends to have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. Now, I don’t know about you, but I think that’s asking for too much. I am sure nature and destiny and god will agree with me when I say there is something wrong with that line of thinking and that much well-wishing. You can’t wish for too much in life. I would say it’s mighty benevolent if you just wished for something good for yourself, your immediate family, your best friends, picked one favorite cousin, your uncle’s adorable dog and the salesgirl at the supermarket that is always nice to you.

So, I wouldn’t dig out email-info for every person I have ever known, snatch that post-it slip floating around from yester years, pore over the address book from an era when it was still fashionable, put names in alphabetical and chronological order, re-align an approved list of festive words to form a coherent new year message and spend five precious minutes of new year’s eve sending out an email. The people I care about get the message – either through a personal email, text, phone call or without me ever having to say it and knowing in their hearts that I could wish nothing but goodness for them. And while I’m at it, I don’t really need a day called New Year’s and have a crystal ball drop to say it to them. That day I need to go drink in a bar and get wasted and watch circling lights and wonder if they are indeed oblong and pretend that I enjoy doing that more than I would settling down on my recliner and watching a marathon of Friends :)

Oh, and before I forget, a Happy New year to ya’ll!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy!!! talk about being cynical :-)

Katrix, I hope you do realize that there is some goodness left in this world. After all one could only keep "wishing" for good things to happen, right? While at that why not wish for the best?
Even if your most trusted friend or even your mother were to wish the best for you, it would not create a miracle would it? Now wishing for anything and actually having it fulfilled are two different things altogether.
I agree on Dec 31 and Jan 1 being just like any other day...but isnt it nice that while the world is divided in its celebrations of the birthdays of the respective "deities" it celebrates one thing in unison?

I believe in the holiday spirit, though it doesnt make my life any better, atleast it makes me want to believe that all is not lost for mankind !!!

All said and done, I did get sloshed, I did welcome the new year with a scream and all that hoopla :-)
Sometimes that is all it takes to make-believe - a margarita :-)

Karthika said...

yeah, i realize it came out more cynical than i intended! jus to be clear, I was trying to be funny :D

but coming to the point, i dont have a problem with people wishing me for new year's. but i need to know that the message was intended for me and not bcos i happened to be on their address book.

you know how i feel about forwards and common emails with a thousand recipients. its so impersonal and meaningless. I aint opening my inbox and wasting time on a message that doesnt greet me by my name!

as for new year's being any other day, I need to follow the protocol myself. i need to go to a bar or a party or spend it with family and friends. And one more day of good food and drink didnt harm anyone :) you could call it new year's or diwali or a bday, there's nothin like a celebration. I jus hate the concept of receiving meaningless messages from people who couldn't care less.

Anonymous said...

Isnt this post as much of a nonsense
as the whole new year thing.
Reading it was more of it!